About IVF



What is infertility?

Infertility is defined as a condition in which pregnancy does not occur even after a year of regular sexual activity without the use of contraceptive methods.

There are many causes of infertility, but to understand a concept and complexity of this phenomenon, at least we should know the elementary basics of human reproduction. Biologically, a very complex and highly non-efficient reproduction is typical for human race. In order to be possible at all, it is necessary that the reproductive function of both partners is healthy. Preconditions for adequate reproduction are regular production of sperm in male partner, regular ovulatory function in female partner (i.e. ovulation), as well as accessibility of the female reproductive tract (primarily herein is meant tubal patency).

In the absence of any problem, the chance for a couple to achieve pregnancy, even at a young age, spontaneously, is only 20-25% per menstrual cycle. Many couples are not aware of this fact, which indicates that it is not easy to achieve pregnancy. Around 85% of couples, through regular and persistent attempts, realize pregnancy within a year. The remaining 15% belongs to a group of infertility, which requires appropriate medical treatment.

In our environment, the percentage of infertile couples ranges between 16-18% (or every sixth couple!), and unfortunately tends to be greater. It is crucial that patients are aware of the problem that it is being discussed in public, and that all promptly seek the help of an appropriate specialist.



When you should contact a doctor?

The achievement of pregnancy may take some time, and it is important not to create a state of panic or a problem after only 2-3 months of trying to conceive. On the other hand, the problem with the conception cannot be ignored, and trying for several years before the couple contact a doctor is another extreme. It is necessary to establish a balance between these two situations.


Watch our video below, where we go into details of when a couple is ready to see an infertility specialist.



Read more

Male infertility

Approximately 25-30% of infertility is caused by a dominant male factor of infertility, while there is a disorder of semen in even 40-50% of couples who are treated for infertility (not always the only reason).

Learn more

Examination of male infertility

Basic method in the study of male infertility is the analysis of semen. This is often the first step in testing of infantile couple. Besides semen, if necessary, clinical and ultrasound examinations are performed by the urologist, as well as surgery, hormone tests, and testicular biopsy.

Learn more
  • Get in touch

Ferona | Contact

    ҆arplaninska 19
    21000 Novi Sad
    Serbia
    office@feronaivf.com
    +381 69 300 87 40